by Ben Oostrum
Ingredients for 4:
check out the video
2 cups black rice 4 Chinese sausages/ lap cheung 8 dried shiitake, broken in pieces 3 tbsp little dried shrimp 1 tsp dried dashi
1 piece konbu (kelp) a few drops of sesame oil 1 tsp ground black pepper 1 spring onion sliced in rings (the green part)
Black Rice, also known as Forbidden Rice, is a whole grain rice and therefore takes a longer time to soak and cook. Soak the rice overnight and cook it for 30 minutes.
- Wash the black rice and soak it overnight.
- Soak the shiitake and shrimps in warm water for one hour.
- Cut the lap cheung in 1/2 cm slices.
- Drain the shiitake and shrimp (save the soaking water of the shiitake)
- Drain the rice and place it with 3 cups of the shiitake water in the AZUME.
- Add the dashi, konbu, lap cheung, shiitake and shrimp.
- Softly cook on your smallest fire for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it steam for another 15 minutes until it’s done.
- Add ground black pepper and a few drops of sesame oil to taste and scoop gently.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with a little green onion.
- Bon appétit.